Chasing the word on GA
Wednesday, March 05, 2008 | Author: Jo Goodwin
Right where were we? Oh yes, google analytics. When I said I glanced over a site criticizing google analytics, I did just that "glance". It was actually written in 2005 and is no longer relevant, so apologies all round. The over all opinion is that it rocks.

As for my own stats, after one day of being fully installed, I have had a grand total of 5 unique visitors - get me! The good news is that I only have a 20% "bounce rate" (a bounce rate is the percentage of visitors that exit the site instantly).

I have also installed analytics on mamash.co.uk. At the moment they have a lovely looking website, a nice product but not much traffic. I'm hoping to try and change that - on a budget of er absolutely nothing. It's my friend's site - so I'm doing this for free as a little side project.

I have also discovered that there isn't much point in me going into the ins and outs of how GA works, as it's all fairly intuitive and just takes some poking/prodding around. If you are keen for some bed time reading then you can read Google Analyticsby Mary E. Tyler, which will give you all the basics.

Today, I have been digging around in open source CMS systems. I came across Wordpress which is simple, flexible and seems relatively easy to use. Why is this relevant to digital marketing, I hear you cry? 1. CMS systems are revolutionising, the way the web works for businesses 2. Wordpress has some great plugins relevant to digital marketing.

Plugins available from the Wordpress website include those relevant to; Google Analytics, Google Ad sense (another important marketing tool), SEO optimisation and social sites. Check out the plugins here wordpress.org/extend/plugins/. I will take this opportunity to admit that I haven't actually tried and tested these so any feedback on how well they work, would be well received.

I'd like to finish this post with an announcement, that have succeeded with some email marketing, with a 100% success rate! Ok, so I sent one email to one company, offering my services as a freelance website designer. It will also give me the chance to experiement with SEO. I have a meeting with them on Thursday, so fingers crossed I may get some much needed work - wish me luck!
| | + Share
This entry was posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: